Mother's Day weekend was my first ever 5k. My friend Kristi had been trying to talk me into running one ever since we started Insanity back in January...well, actually maybe even longer than that. I had never even considered it until we were a month into Insanity and then for the first time ever I thought I MAY be able to really do it. So when they started advertising the Fat Ass 5K and Scott asked Chad and I if we wanted to do it (they had both been doing Insanity too) I thought, now or never. And really the name of the race kind of takes the intimidating part out of being a participant! We never referred to it by it's name in our house for obvious reasons, but it became affectionately known as 'That Thing Downtown'. The night before the 'thing downtown' Michael came up and we went to register. While we were downtown we figured what they heck, might as well eat at Dublin Pub at Vinegar Hill Mall? I mean why SHOULDN'T we eat horseshoes the night before running a 5k?! I only had quesadillas, but both of the boys hammered down shoes.
The next morning, Chad was off to Pleasant Plains to coach in the regional championship with his girls team, the boys were off to Grandpa and Grandma's, and Michael, Scott and I were headed downtown to do some runnin' (and eatin' and drinkin'). Here we are en route getting reading with a little 'Kick Start My Heart', oh what? there's no audio on blogger? Well you can imagine it. 
I for obvious reasons did not pack my camera during the race. Believe me people, running 5k took all my concentration. I was so focused that I didn't partake in any of the draft beer, corn dogs, donuts, or ice cream that were also on the race course. And yes...people were really drinking and eating all of that while running. I don't know how we didn't see any vomit along the road, but we didn't. My only goal was to run the entire time, and I'm gonna say I did it. We could see the finish line when I started blacking out and had to walk for 15 steps, but I ran to the end. I'm calling it a goal achieved. I know it's sad...it was only 3.2 miles! But seriously....that's the most athletic thing I've ever done in my entire life. Hey, you can't be good at EVERYTHING people.
Kristi took this picture on her phone before the race. Scott had his fam here from Red Bud, too...and Phil's missing from the pic because someone had to be the photographer.
And here's me and Michael after the race and before the guy sitting next to us (whom we did NOT know) said these words to Michael regarding the baked beans left on his plate 'ya gonna eat that?' After which he proceeded to instruct Michael to scrape them off his plate and onto his own while we were on the way to the trash can. UH. WHO DOES THAT? I'm gonna answer that. A Fat Ass. :)
The Outlaws
No comments:
Post a Comment