Thursday, December 10, 2009

Welcome to the World, Sweet Boy!

Here's the first ever picture of Mr. Grant Jeffrey. And as you can imagine, the majority of the first comments about him were about his luscious mane of hair! All the doctors and nurses in the operating room couldn't get over his thick hair. When I look at him, my first thoughts are how much he looks like Landon...but with thicker hair. :) The story of his birth, however, is nothing like his brother's....THANK GOODNESS!

















We had to be at the hospital on Wednesday morning at 5:30. By 7:00 the nurses had me prepped and wheeled me into the Operating Room and by 7:30 the anesthesologist had my spinal block in and sent Chad in for action. At 7:52, we welcomed Landon's baby brother into the world. When Landon was born I think he squeaked one little cry. Mr. Grant let everyone in the hospital know he was here....and continued to voice his presence the entire time we were in the operating room, on the ride from the operating room to our regular room, through the introductions of his grandparents and aunt, through his first exam by our pediatrician, through his first bath, etc., etc. You get it. The boy cried for about a solid three hours.

Besides having to recover from being torn from his cozy comfy womb, Grant had to have his frenulum snipped. Sounds painful right and I bet you don't even know what that means! :) That's the little piece of skin that holds your tongue to the bottom of your mouth. His was too short, making it difficult for him to stick out his tongue....which also would've made it hard on him (AND ME) for him to nurse. So our pediatrician called in an ENT and had that taken care of right away, too. Once he endured the snipping and a bath, he decided
he'd cried all he could cry, and called it a day. He was cashed out pretty much the rest of the day. We took plenty of pictures to document the day's events and visitors, and I think you'll agree that he's adorable whether he's awake or sleeping. I mean, I don't have a biased opinion or anything. ;)


















You just don't realize how much you can love someone until you have a child. There are just no words to describe it. And here's something no one ever talks about either... Chad and I had a heart to heart this past weekend about both of us being worried about how we were going to love someone as much as we love Landon. The past five months of our lives have been especially centered around Landon...worrying about Landon, carrying for Landon, trying to protect Landon, spoiling Landon. I honestly was feeling guilty before Grant was born because I hadn't spent near the time dreaming dreams for this baby like I had Landon. I mean, we couldn't even decide on a boy name until the drive to the hospital Wednesday morning. But from the second I heard his cry, before I even saw him, I loved him just as much. One word...amazing. There's nothing in the world like it.

Here he is! Enjoy some of Grant's grunts and squeaks. We are. And we can't wait to introduce him to his big brother tomorrow!

5 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

Congratulations!! I'm glad they took care of the tongue thing for you right away - whew!

Courtney said...

OOHH Megan! He is SO adorable! I just want to snuggle him. Thank you so much for sharing the video. I LOVE baby noises. I'm so very happy for you guys.
Your story about the screaming reminded me of Josie's birth. We knew when she was born (c-section also) because we could hear her all the way down the hall. The nurses were laughing because she started screaming before her body was even out & continued screaming (on the inhale & exhale) through all of her measuring & cleaning. The girl was ticked! 8-)
I can't wait to hear the story of Landon meeting Grant & all the hilarity in the weeks to come. Make sure you write stuff down. I have a feeling the "quotes from Landon" are about to get VERY interesting.
Love you all!

Liz said...

Wow, he does look like Landon! He's just about as perfect as they get. Thanks for sharing the video, it brought me to tears. You forget how wonderful those little noises are.

Congratulations and hope to see you all very soon!

p.s. LOVE his name!

Sara B said...

Congrats!!!!! He is so beautiful. Isn't it crazy how you fall in love with the second one just like the first, and everything is perfect?! Enjoy.

ashley said...

congrats! he is adorable!!!!