Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cookies, Wrapping, and Lots of Visitors



Well I'm late by a few days, but I figured everyone would cut me some slack. Even though Grant is SUCH a good baby, he's still a newborn...and caring for a newborn can be a little taxing on your routine schedules. Grant is VERY agreeable: sleeps A LOT and through just about anything, eats every three to four hours, and sometimes goes for FIVE hours at night already. He doesn't require to be held while sleeping or even drifting off to sleep. He, of course, does get held quite a bit, but he will fall asleep on his own (which I know may not always be the case, but for now I'm enjoying it) He usually spends at least one stint of time in his cradle through the night. Here lately, I've been camping out on the couch with him until he wakes up for his 2:00ish feeding and then we go lay down. For some reason, I find it easier to get up at 2 a.m. from the couch instead of our bed. I guess if I'm not in bed I feel like I'm not "really" getting up because I never technically went to bed. Does that make sense? I hope so. I had to fill out a depression rating scale at the doctor's office yesterday, and I answered all the questions and it seemed I passed, but I do feel a little neurotic. I think that mostly can be contributed to the holidays and not necessarily depression though. (seriously....I'm fine....don't worry) Speaking of holidays...

We've been getting ready for Christmas!! We've finished up shopping...well, I shouldn't say that. As I'm typing Chad and Landon are going on hour four of shopping for me. I told Chad I wanted a bottle of perfume. I know it doesn't take four hours to buy a bottle of perfume, and I also know him well enough to know that he isn't just buying perfume. I'm so spoiled it's ridiculous. Hopefully he doesn't take out a loan to buy my Christmas gifts.

On Sunday, Landon and I baked cookies for Santa, while Daddy and Grant took a nap on the couch with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation playing in the background. That movie is one of my favorite holiday things. It's just a classic!! And apparently AMC thinks so too since it's been on 65 times in the last two weeks....and I believe AMC actually stands for American Movie CLASSICS. Duh. Any who....Landon was very helpful in the kitchen. He's really starting to "get" the whole Santa thing. After watching some Santa movies he understands that Santa comes to everyone's houses to leave presents for good little boys and girls. The whole idea of leaving him milk and cookies was a new one though...and he thought it was a great idea. "Yeah! Santa needs snacks. AND milk." Here are some pictures of our little chef. His favorite part was probably playing in the dish water at the sink. He needed a new shirt when we had finished. While we were baking, it so appropriately started snowing. Landon had to run to the door (in between shirts) and check out the snow fall. :)

On Monday, Grant had his two week check up. He weighed 7 lbs 13 ozs when he was born and was down to 7lbs 3 ozs before we left the hospital. He's now back up to 7-8. He's a good eater and really does well nursing. Landon was NOT a good nurser (if that's a word) and I DREADED feeding the kid. Grant is much easier. Don't get me wrong, the first couple weeks haven't been a walk in the park, but they've been nothing like they were with Landon. It helps that Grant only wants to nurse every 3 hours at the most. Landon was at it every hour and a half. No one warns you about the committment and pain that's involved in nursing. I'm here to tell you....it's not easy, but it's worth it. I wouldn't have added "it's worth it" last time, when eight weeks in I was still crying when he wanted to eat. Baby Number Two: MUCH EASIER!

Monday afternoon Great Grandma Marilyn and Great Great Aunt Judy came by to meet Grant. They were keeping their distance and nursing colds, but were back up and at 'em and eager to see Baby Boy. They (shockingly!! :) ) brought presents for Landon, when they came over, too. John McWard, Chad's graduating goalie, dropped by too. He wasn't too thrilled about holding Grant, but Coach made him step up. He was pretty nervous, but turns out he was a natural. He's a goalie for cryin' out loud! He's gotta have good hands!

Monday evening, Landon "helped" me wrap gifts. He LOVES Scotch tape and is actually really good about placing it where you tell him. Now my only concern is that he'll blab to people about what we got them, because he was asking a lot of questions and I'm positive he'll remember. We now have three separate piles of gifts in our house: gifts to go to my mom and dads, gifts to go to Chad's mom and dads, and Christmas morning gifts. The lead picture is Landon sitting in the pile of gifts going to Chad's parents'. He got up this morning and said, "Look! It's a couch!" How funny is that? This would've been a great Christmas card picture. Maybe next year I'll get my shopping and wrapping done early enough to do that. HA HA HA! I crack myself up.

This afternoon LaVella came by to meet her newest charge. Grant won't be going to LaVella's until the Fall, since she's already got her hands full with Noah, Landon, and Abby. But start of next school year, she'll have all the Kutscher-Mehring kids, and that's it. We've monopolized LaVella!


As I'm loading this video from earlier last week, I'm realizing I didn't say anything about what happened the first week we were home from the hospital. Let's just say it's mostly a blur. Since I wasn't able to get around that great or pick up Landon or anything heavier than Grant, I had a lot of help. Dad, Mom, and Chris all took turns staying over and helping out since Chad had to go to school to give his finals. Grandpa and Grandma Nees made a couple of visits too since they were up here for Grandpa to have his defibulator put in. He was in an out in one day with the surgery, and is doing well. Cousin Christie got to meet Grant this week, too. She just graduated from nursing school at Millikin and was finishing up her finals last week. Congrats, Christie! The week was mostly consumed with feedings, diaper changings, and the birth announcement/Christmas card mailing.

We had to make a couple of trips back up to Memorial to have Grant's bilirubin tested. He was a little jaundiced, but ended up recovering on his own without any light therapy. I also braved it and took him to a teacher happy hour (at a team mate's home) on Friday after school. I was ready to get out a little but didn't find it wise to take him into school. It was the perfect opportunity to show him off to a few of my teacher friends and not expose him to Lord knows what that's floating around in that building. I wish I would've been videoing when his hat was removed at the party. The squeals would've been a great blog moment. Grant didn't even flinch either. Landon would not have tolerated that as well. The difference between the first born and the second child I guess. Grant hardly ever gets a moment of quiet. Great segway for the video I've been leading up to...


Last year, if you recall, Landon sang "Away in a Manger" on the blog for Christmas Eve. I asked him about singing again this year, and he prefers not to. Bummer. He is very much interested in the Nativity scene we have though. I think mostly because I've told him not to touch it. Amazing how that makes something so much more interesting. Here he is not touching the Nativity. :) Merry Christmas, Everyone!!

2 comments:

Christine (Ramsey) Coventry said...

Merry Christmas to you & your family!

Rebecca Mohler said...

Merry Christmas to the Kutscher Family!!!

Love
The Mohler Family