Sunday, September 30, 2012

We're Koo-Koo Alright...

This week was Homecoming week!  The theme was famous advertising slogans, and kindergarteners are always invited to participate in the parade.  The kindergarten teachers chose the theme 'KooKoo for Kindergarten' to decorate our wagons....you'll see that in a minute, but 'koo-koo' is a good adjective for the ENTIRE WEEK folks.

We're Koo-Koo for soccer of course.  Chad's team had four games in five days this week (uh, yeah) and they play three games in five days this week.  Yeah, that'll make ya Koo-Koo!  ;)  And what made the soccer even more koo-koo (and by the way I do know this isn't the conventional way to spelling, but the kindergarten teachers were going for the alliteration and I'm stickin' with em) was that at Tuesday's game Landon's team got to stand on the sidelines for the national anthem (or national lanthem as Landon calls it).  I tell Landon the exciting news on Tuesday am and he cried all the way to school about being nervous about it.  What????  I thought he'd be pumped.  This kind of has been a theme with Landon the past few weeks and it's getting worse seems like.  The following morning he cried over not knowing what he wanted to eat for breakfast.  I'm not sure what's goin' on...but after talking to moms and teachers I really think it's just an adjusting phase.  He's going to bed about 8:30, which is super early for him, but I'm making more of an effort to get him there even earlier.  Who knows.  All I DO know that the past week we've endured a lot of tears...and I've done  A LOT of deep breathing and praying for patience.

So anywho, I digress...after the tears and stress I told Landon he didn't have to stand on the side line if he didn't want to...but whaddya know, when we got there he was excited and ran right over with his coach.  I'm glad, but gosh darn it, stinker!  Grant went too (thanks Coach Jon for the honorary Destroyer status)


  And here are some starting line up pics...that are super fuzzy because I was zoomed as far as I could and then I cropped and frankly (as I've mentioned before I'm sure..) I'm not impressed with my camera.  I may have also mentioned that I've dropped it a few times and the lens no longer moves in and out on its own a lot.  Boo
And Daddy flips the switch from 'Daddy mode' to 'Coach mode' very quickly.  
  The boys sat for awhile and watched part of the game, shared some popcorn, and Grant and Creighton ended up getting a 2 second flash on the evening news!  (which also made Landon cry.  UUUGGGHH!!)

We're Koo-Koo for Kindergarten!  Thursday night I was in Wal-Mart, with the boys eating a 'picnic' lunch in the cart, buying spray paint to cover balloons to make them Cocoa Puffs.  Hey, I had to call it a picnic to sell the idea to em.  They went for it.  :)  Until the last 6 aisles then Grant decided he was done and cried the rest of the way through.  I'm tellin' ya....lots of crying this week.

Then we came home and I was up til midnight making this wagon, and cursing myself for procrastinating.  Although I couldn't really do it earlier in the week because of the balloon thing...in my defense.  I at least had the 'bowl' done with Mom's help from last weekend.


 It was all worth it though.  He's only gonna be in kindergarten once....and you know normally I would live for making something like this....but this week, it wasn't as enjoyable as it would've been if we wouldn't have endured the tears and soccer already too.
Landon with his teacher, Mrs. May, before the parade.

Besties with their teacher!  :)  How cute is this?!?!?

 Thankfully Landon didn't cry about being nervous for the parade.  He got up Friday morning and was so excited his legs 'just couldn't hold still'  He had a half day of school, then rode the bus home with Creighton, which he also is a big fan of.  Then I met Tressa and the boys at the parade meeting spot.  We walked the parade and Landon ran out of candy not even half way through the parade, but still had a blast.  He was happy when we got back to the car and he realized he had spilled a few pieces of candy in the backseat while he was getting out, so he at least had some candy of his own.

Grant rode the soccer float with Daddy and we met up with him at the soccer game.  Here he is coming across the field to us with one of Chad's seniors.

There was a huge crowd at the soccer game which made it tough to watch the game and tougher to watch the kids!  It was beautiful weather and the Rockets ended up on top.  That's a W!

Christie brought Caleb to the parade and game

 I had big plans to start cleaning Friday after the game but those ended as soon as my hiney hit the couch.  What. a. week.  So Saturday morning we hit the ground running.  Landon started a new chore chart, which requires him to put his own backpack and lunch box in the car every morning (because Lord knows I have enough things to carry) and to return his plate and cup to the kitchen sink when he's done eating.  He earned some serious bonus stickers on Saturday by taking the sheets off his bed and bringing them down to be washed, gathering the trash, taking out the recycling, and unloading the dishwasher.  We've changed the ground rules for chore charts too.  He's working for the almighty dollar now, not a prize.  He may as well learn how to save and manage his funds.  :)
 We're Koo-Koo for the movies!   Saturday afternoon we took the boys to see Finding Nemo 3D.  It was Grant's first movie, but he wasn't as thrilled as we thought he'd be.  Problem #1 is that he hasn't been feeling well...has this crummy cough that seems like it only hits at bed time, but it hits hard....like hard enough that he's thrown up twice through the night from coughing.  :(  Problem #2 he was NOT into wearing the 3D glasses.  Problem #3 he's seen Nemo enough times I think he wasn't really impressed.
 And here's another problem....I really wanted to document his first movie...but it's hard to see what you're taking pictures of in the dark....hence picture below.  Funny though right?

We DID get the glasses on him, but it was brief
 And with about 20 minutes left in the movie, we were done and had to leave to let everyone else in the theater enjoy the show.  Guess we'll never know if Nemo and his Dad are reunited....oh wait, I think I remember the ending.  ;)
And this is where we'll leave it for the week...with hopes that this week results in fewer tears and less koo-koo!!  ;)

No comments: