Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Night Before Kindergarten

 The day before the first day of school is "Meet the Teacher" night for kindergarten here.  I, along with thousands of parents I'm sure, was so appreciative that it WAS that night.  It's really perfect timing...they're excited to go but still a little nervous, and actually getting to see their classroom and meet their teacher calms a lot of nerves.  And yes, I'm talking about me...not Landon. hehe!  I'm sure that's the case with a lot of kindergarten kiddos and their mamas though.  Landon was super excited!  Here he is, sitting at his place at the green crayon table.

It just so happened that Landon's best buddy Creighton was on his class list too!  I can't tell you who was more excited about THAT, Landon, Creighton, me, or Tressa.  It was a toss up!  :)  Along with Creighton there were also a few other familiar names on his list too...Eli (who has appeared on the blog before, I believe most recently on the baseball camp post), Kate (fellow Destroyer and neighbor across the street), Alexa (a friend from preschool), and Lana (a friend from church).

This is my first experience as the observer in the Meet the Teacher night, and it was so fun not being the one doing all the talking!  Landon is in Mrs. Rana May's class...and yes we use her first name a lot because there are TWO Mrs. Mays in kindergarten at our school!  :)  After we put all of our supplies in the boxes in the hallway, Mrs. May went over a few policy things, and then called the kids to the carpet and read them a story about the night before kindergarten.  I have a few pictures of that too, but the teacher in me won't let me post it online because I don't have written permission slips from all the kids sitting near Landon.  ;)  After the story, we all went to the gym for the handbook presentation from Mrs. Keller, the principal.  Mrs. Turek, the counselor, talked a little about separation anxiety, and Mrs. Busboom, the nurse, talked about physicals, etc.  They even had a bus out in the parking lot if your kiddo was feeling anxious about riding.  I was super impressed...not sure why...but they had thought of EVERYTHING.  :)

Landon and Eli

Hadley and Landon (Hadley is in Mrs. Kathy May's class)

Mommy and Daddy, taken by Landon who was dying to take a picture
 After dinner, bath and brushing our teeth, we opened the gift that Mrs. May sent home with Landon.  He got a balloon tied to a gift bag and inside the bag were some stickers, a cool kindergartener bracelet and a little poem with some 'magic confetti' to help him sleep.  It was adorable  (I even thought this a few weeks ago when I found it on Pinterest and sent it to my first graders for the night before school.  Dern.  Guess us first grade teachers are out of luck next year.  Will have to find something else to impress! )


 You were supposed to sprinkle the confetti under your pillow to help you sleep through the night and be ready the first day of school...



 Hey...it worked!  Chad and I had already decided Mrs. May was the best teacher EVER.  Landon was in bed and ASLEEP by 9:00.  I don't know if that's EVER happened!







Sweet dreams, big kindergartener!

No comments: