Sunday, September 16, 2012

Life on Easy Street

Okay, week one of regular posts...here we go!  ;)

After week 4 of school under our belt and a weekend at the Morton Tournament, which we've never attended before and the boys have played in every year (since I can remember), I've been reflecting on how my life is so much easier right now than it was say, a year ago.  Here are some factors weighing in on my life on easy street:

1) We aren't about to move to a new house....nor will we be 'about to move to a new house' for quite some time...like hopefully when Chad and I are old, the boys are all grown up, and we're 'downsizing' to a house on the lake.  And ya know what, by then we're gonna be old enough that the boys are going to have to orchestrate the move anyway, so ha! We're. not. moving.  ;) (I shouldn't put that in writing, next week a division I college will call and offer Chad a coaching position he can't turn down.)
Pumpkin Festival Time!

2)  The boys are a lot easier to manage than they were a year ago....and by 'the boys' I mean Grant I guess.  He's sleeping (ugh!  shouldn't put that in writing either!!!).  He doesn't require so much garb when going anywhere...The boys are starting to play together and entertain each other, too...which also makes things much easier.

3)  My job has gotten way easier!  I think after 11 years of teaching under my belt I can finally say, I'm confident in my abilities as a teacher (shyeah....it's taken 11 years).  I love all of the people I work with...I know I can defend myself with parents.  And after 4 years in my school now, I know what's coming and feel semi-prepared, instead of flying by the seat of my pants everyday, trying to keep my head above water...and barely getting it done.  PLUS I have a student teacher this year, and I haven't been bringing home as much stuff!  Score!!

So to summarize, my life is cake right now.  ;)  So much so that I actually said, 'okay!' when Chad said to me on Thursday, 'hey, I know I've brought this up before, but you guys could come up to Morton with us and we could spend the night up there.'  So after taking in the second half of the first game on Friday after school (which by the way  the boys won...beat undefeated O'Fallon 2-0!) we packed up the boys and headed to the Pumpkin Festival.  We didn't see much 'pumpkin' in the festival.  It was mostly a carnival...with fried food, rides, games, and so many people you couldn't really move.  I think most of the 'pumpkin' activities must take place during the day.  We did manage to see a whole field of pumpkins when we were driving in, and that was pretty much the extent of the 'pumpkin.'

We bought Landon a balloon sword and belt (and Grant got a lame plastic hippo because he was legally too young to give a balloon animal too???what the heck?  we're regulating balloon animals....Lord, we are in a heap of trouble, society).  Landon begged to ride the bumper cars, but the line was ridiculously long and it would've costed us SIX dollars so as far as he knew, he was too short to ride.  Let's keep that on the down low, folks.

Slushy Brothers
the blue raspberry slushy inspired a Capt. America drawing
...and a blue moustache and teeth

After our lack luster search for the pumpkin part of the festival, we crashed at the Quality Inn (where Chad didn't get much sleep, because of the wrath of a bacon double cheeseburger in a health conscious stomach).  Then we got up on Saturday and headed out to watch the boys take on Urbana...also undefeated....til they played the Rockets, baby!  We tied 2-2 in regulation and then won in penalty kicks.  The little guys had a fantastic time because the weather was gorgeous, they got to share a blue slushy, and we had the perfect set up where we could watch the game from the tables near the concession stand.  Everyone wins!  After lunch with the team, we headed back and left the boys to finish up the tournament.  Hey, one of these slushy eaters requires a nap for everyone's well being.  They unfortunately lost 1-0...I think they needed their good luck charms.  Dern.


 And here we are washing the hotel off of us on Saturday night...and having a rockin' good time apparently.







 Fun weekend! And feeling pretty unstoppable as I finish my first (ahem, I DO realize it's only the first, but it still feels good!) regular blog entry.  Let's celebrate, Grant!  'oh yeah! oh yeah! oh yeah!  Go Rockets!'

No comments: