Monday, November 1, 2010

We Can See Clearly Now that Foggy Window is Gone



This winter the seal went out of our picture window in the living room. I've always liked the window because it was big and let lots of light in. And in the fall you could see our cute little tree (that I don't know what kind it is) turn red. In the spring, I was always excited to open up the side windows and hear the trickle of the pond right below the window, and it was pretty much the only thing about the front of our house that I liked. Our house is pretty blah on the front I think.

Well, since the seal went out, it was difficult to see our pretty little tree this fall and we decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new window to replace it. We talked about the options and decided on a bow window....thinking it may give the house a little more character. Mom and Dad graciously hauled the big ole mama-jama up here last weekend...that's right....on a trailer...pulled by their truck....an EEEENORMOUS, GLASS, window, 2 hour drive...yeah....fun for them. They made it though. And I think I'm going to venture to say that getting up here may have been the most difficult part the whole operation went so smoothly.


While getting the old window out proved to be a small challenge, once it was out of the way, the new window went in splendidly. It's easy for me to say that of course, because I didn't have a whole lot to do with the new window going in the hole. I did help hold it while Dad did the installing, but that was where my contribution ended. Thank goodness for Dad, Michael and Chad. The window was a little on the pricy side, but it would've been a whole heck of a lot more if we would've had to pay someone to put it in, too.











Landon was sitting on the couch while the installing was going on. I gave him the camera to snap a picture. I told all these ya-hoos I'm standing next to to stick their tongues out. What the heck? They left me hanging. I'm the only one who looks like an idiot! (Michael may actually have his tongue out when you look at it enlarged, but it doesn't look like it here) Once Landon snapped that picture (which really is pretty good for a three year old photographer), he took the liberty of taking some pictures of his own. Here's an angle view of the Illinois football game.
There's also this picture....of Papa Jeff, mulling over the plan. If you look in the window there's a frightening picture of me giving "the look". This is apparently how I looked after saying through the window, "Landon. Put down the camera.....Landon, stop taking pictures. Landon...put it down." while Landon continued to snap pictures. I mean, if this is how I look when I give the look, I need to cut it out. Wow....that's a stare straight from the devil! I'm scarin' myself people! How can that NOT scare this child?! It didn't.
So now the window is in...the trim from the inside is off and laying in the middle of the garage floor, and I have to be careful about walking through the living room in my night attire and towels because we have no window treatments. Hopefully the drapes won't cost as much as the window...but I'm guessing that'll be an "investment" as well. ;) Ahhh the life of a homeowner!

3 comments:

Bob and LouAnne said...

I think Michael might be giving the look too. Pretty scary, you guys, considering it was Halloween and all. Home repair zombies.

Beth Cooper said...

Great story. Maybe Landon will be a photographer someday. And that was a great comment from Bob and LouAnne about "home repair zombies" - that's exactly what you and Michael look like. Crack me up!

Lindsey said...

I caught up on all your videos today...hilarious. I loved the conversation between Landon and Grandma Chris. Too cute!