
Since last summer, Friends of Kids with Cancer has definitely given us some bright spots. At the end of the summer we received two hundred dollar gift cards, one to Wal-Mart and one to Toys 'R Us, for doing absolutely nothing. We then were called a few times and offered Cardinals and Blues tickets. We were invited to Trick or Treat and Christmas events hosted by the organization as well, but didn't make it. When we got the invite to the Magic House Picnic in June, I put it on the calendar. When it happened to coincide with the weekend trip with Michael to the Cardinal game and house hunting, I knew we were for sure in.
We took Landon to the Magic House at the end of January one day before an appointment he had at Children's. He had a fantastic time. If you're in the Mid-West and you have kids, anywhere from 2 to 12, I'd highly recommend going. I didn't even tell Landon we were going this time, he overheard me, from oh a good twenty feet, while I was making plans with
Michael. He came dashing across the house, screaming, "Are you taking ME to the MAGIC HOUSE?! Are you taking ME to the MAGIC HOUSE?!" probably about six times. He was just a skosh bit excited. (didn't know by the way that "skosh" is a Japanese word...had to webster.com it and hey, you learn something new everyday)
Michael. He came dashing across the house, screaming, "Are you taking ME to the MAGIC HOUSE?! Are you taking ME to the MAGIC HOUSE?!" probably about six times. He was just a skosh bit excited. (didn't know by the way that "skosh" is a Japanese word...had to webster.com it and hey, you learn something new everyday)So the Magic House event was on a Thursday night, from 6 to 9. We loaded up the boys for the weekend, which turned out to be an entire day ordeal. Being gone for three nights and four days requires a lot of stuff when you have a three year old and a six month old. We checked into our "hol-tel," as Landon calls them, and then headed for the Magic House. We got there right at 6, and I mention this because it's not often that the Kutscher family is on time anywhere. Just thought it should be noted. We checked in at the main entrance and were given a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of the many prize bundles they had at the che
ck in desks. They had games and gift cards are bundled together for prizes.
ck in desks. They had games and gift cards are bundled together for prizes.The first thing we did after checking in was to investigate the snake man. Landon was not interested in any way of being near the snakes. The man asked Landon if he wanted to hold one, and he violentely shook his head no and clung to Chad. So the man moved to Chad. Landon answered for him, too. Chad laughed and took the snake. Landon wasn't sure what to think at that moment. Chad and the snake man coaxed Landon into touching the little red and white snake Daddy was holding, but that's a close as he got to holding one. Then he placed a pretty good sized snake around Chad's neck. Landon was really nervous then. I got some great pictures though.
We enjoyed some picnic food and Landon showed his rebounding appetite and interest in new food when he tried pineapple, honey dew and cantaloupe. Ya-hoo! Grant even cooperated and ate all of his green beans without making too much of a disaster of anything. (This is a rarity...more about that later).
Other highlights include:

Landon made Daddy and Grant a pretend ice cream cone, that Grant was disappointed to find we would not allow him to eat.
All Landon talked about after the first trip to the Magic House (besides seeing Curious George) was the beanstalk. I think I may have mentioned his obsession with Jack and the Beanstalk. At the Magic House they have a beanstalk you can climb that goes up at least two stories, I think three. He didn't want to try it last time. He said he "needed to grow a little bit." When he heard we were going he started talking about the beanstalk again, but still saying he wasn't big enough. When we got there though, he bolted up the thing! We made a big hoop-la over his bravery.
Landon checking out the construction business. There was a vest, too, but he wanted nothing to do with it. He's a little fashion conscious. Hard hats are always in fashion, though.

This little contraption blows air through all these tubes. You stick the scarves and these little fluffy balls in and it shoots them out different holes when you turn different levers. A three year old's dream.
This huge musical wheel that you "play" by holding the wand. When the wheel turns it plays one of Bach's symphonies, but I can't remember which one because it's been too long, and my memory is no good anymore. :(
And here's Grant reaching out for Old Glory. One of the exhibits has an oval office where you can sit at the President's desk and hold a press conference. Outside that exhibit is this flag, which once you pull the cord to raise it, it blows in the wind. Grant was a fan. He's patriotic already I guess.
When we left the Magic House, every child got a Build-a-Bear stuffed friend. We have two little girl bears now. Landon named them Lydia and Lydia. This cracks me up. He named Grandma's dog Lydia, too. This stems from one of the first episodes of the Muppet Show, which we own on DVD, where Kermit the Frog sings this song, "Lydia oh Lydia, oh have you met Lydia? Lydia the TAA-Tooed lady?" It's hilarious. Now anytime we need to name a girl something, it's Lydia. I told him one of them needed a different name, and he couldn't think of one. I suggested Claudia...sounds like sister names right? Well, he pronounces Claudia like Glaudia. It's hysterical. I'm sure Lydia and Glaudia will show up on a near future blog post.
Any who, I don't really use the blog to promote anything besides broadcasting our family happenins', but if you or the company you work for or whoever, is looking for a charitable organization to donate to, Friends of Kids with Cancer would be a great choice. Seeing all those kids running around laughing and having fun is worth so much, especially considering what they have been through or what they're currently going through. We have been so blessed by this ordeal, and have been so fortunate that our little guy handled his treatment so well. Other families are not so blessed. Having something fun to put their minds on for a little while, is such a priceless thing. If you're interested in donating or volunteering, click on the link...Friends of Kids with Cancer.
End of advertising. :)
On the way back to the hol-tel, we hit a Coldstone Creamery for some ice cream. Landon enjoyed a few bites of what was "just plain vanilla" from his
Dad's "The Pie Who Loved Me" and I was a good girl and had just one scoop of berry yogurt which was I'm sure not as tasty as what I watched Chad eat. Once he could barely walk and I was slightly regretting my decision on sticking with the yogurt, we loaded up and went back to the hotel. Here's Landon and his friend Fred Bird out for the night. (Notice Landon made me take off Fred Bird's shoes, too. "He can't sleep in SHOOEES!") Each kid only got up once...score...I guess, and the next morning we were up and at em at the zoo, which you already know about. :)
Dad's "The Pie Who Loved Me" and I was a good girl and had just one scoop of berry yogurt which was I'm sure not as tasty as what I watched Chad eat. Once he could barely walk and I was slightly regretting my decision on sticking with the yogurt, we loaded up and went back to the hotel. Here's Landon and his friend Fred Bird out for the night. (Notice Landon made me take off Fred Bird's shoes, too. "He can't sleep in SHOOEES!") Each kid only got up once...score...I guess, and the next morning we were up and at em at the zoo, which you already know about. :)







1 comment:
Yes - We LOVE Lydia the tatooed lady over here - one of my uncles emailed us the lyrics when I was still in the hospital after our Lydia was born!!! Too funny!
Post a Comment