Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Best Bad News We Could've Gotten

It's Thursday night and we're at home for now. Landon's doctor in St. Louis order a CT Scan this morning which showed the 5cm tumor that showed up on the ultra sound. He's pretty sure the tumor is contained, but it is big enough that they will be removing his kidney. The surgery has been scheduled for Tuesday morning at 7:30, so we'll be heading down again on Monday evening. This all seems very surreal and like a bad dream, but a lot of things were put in perspective today for us. We have so much to be thankful for. First of all that Dr. Baron agreed to see Landon here in Springfield on Tuesday when he doesn't normally see kids. We could've been waiting until next Thursday to see the pediatric urology nurse. Second of all, that Landon has been bleeding so we knew something was wrong. All of the doctors we have talked to say that most children with these kind of tumors don't show any symptoms, until the tumors are large enough you can see them on their abdomen. By then, they're obviously more difficult to treat. Third, Landon's doctor in St. Louis is so great at what he does and so dedicated to his job that our little guy is definitely in great hands. The doctor actually just called here himself at 9:20 this evening to let us know he got the surgery on the books. He squeezed us in first thing this morning for a consultation, ordered the CT Scan, and then came back to his office in between his packed day of surgeries to read the Scan for us. All that with a bed side manner of a pediatric specialist. He's amazing.

There is still a slight chance that the tumor could be benign, but the doctor says statistically speaking, for kids his age, it's more than likely a cancerous tumor. It does look like it's in Stage 1 though from the scan, so after removing the kidney and lymph nodes around it to be tested, we'll know how long he'll need chemo. And from the sound of it the chemo is more of a preventative measure.

After spending a day in a place like Children's Hospital, and seeing so many very sick kids, you realize just how blessed you are. Our world has definitely been shaken this week, but when our doctor was telling us that he could put us on the add-on list for surgeries on Friday, but the priority of Landon's surgery wouldn't be high enough to pass up surgeries for removing brain tumors, Chad and I both realized just how blessed we were. It's on his kidney. He's got two. People live with one, and when he said 99.9% curable, I was saying serious thank yous on the way out of the hospital.

We also just want to thank EVERYONE for all of their thoughts and prayers. It's so uplifting to know we have so many people praying for Landon. Family, friends, friends of family, friends of friends, the boys and girls soccer teams and their families, everyone who picked up the slack and helped out with Chad's soccer camp this week, people we don't even really know....there just are no words to express how much your support and prayers mean. He was a trooper today, although was pretty much beside himself that he wasn't allowed to have a drink. (I mean who is denied their sippy cup for cryin' out loud?!) After making it through the scan though and giving full possession of his juice, he was his normal charming self. That is until we came home and he woke up from a 2 and a half hour nap and the "12-36 hours of irritability" as a side of effect of the sedatative kicked in. We can handle irritable though. Culver's ice cream at least curbed it for awhile.

Please continue to pray for good news for our little man. Prayers for strength and the best outcomes we can have, and also for our Dr. and all of the nurses taking care of Landon (and us, too.) I'll put up more updates as we have them. THANK YOU for all your love and support.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad & Megan,
I found your blog through Kassi Mac. Brittany and I wanted to tell you that we are praying for you and all that is going on with your family. You are very blessed and it is amazing to see your strength shine through. We want you that if you need anything, like dinner, please don't hesitate.

In His Grip,

Doug and Brittany Welk

Mommy Vahle said...

Hi Megan,

There hasn't been a minute that I haven't thought about all of you!! Although I have never met your handsome, little guy I feel like I know him through your blog. I have been and will continue to pray for Landon's health, good news, and strength for you and Chad. There is power in numbers and power in prayer, so I know this will just be a hurdle you all will get through with much love and support from your friends and family. We are thinking of you and praying for all!
Lynae

Courtney said...

OH my goodness! I had no idea this was going on until today. I usually only check your blog on Monday or Tuesday, but something told me to check it today. I'm glad I did. That was a God thing. Landon is in our prayers & so are you & Chad. This has to be so scary for you guys. I'm kinda glad Landon is so young beacuse he won't know to be scared. Praise God it was found so early! I know he will do fine. He & Tim can be 1-kidney buddies. 8-)

I sent a prayer request to my prayer warrior buddies and I've already heard from some of them that they are praying. One of my friends is on his annual mission trip to South Africa & he & the people there will be praying. I thought that was really cool.

You have an amazing attitude. You will be blessed for that. Stay strong & try to rest up the next few days. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Love,
Courtney

Susan said...

Hey there-
Please know that we're praying for you. We've already talked with Noah and tried as best we can to explain to him what is happening with Landon. He knows that for awhile at least Landon will have to be treated "gentle like baby Abby." (Noah's words:-)
We'll keep the prayers going, and trust in God.
Susan

Anonymous said...

We are continuing to pray for Landon and your family. If there is anything that we can do to help out, please let us know.

God Bless -

Sue and Rob Tucker

Meg said...

You guys hang in there! It's probably harder on you than it is on Landon right now. Don't forget to take care of yourselves too! I'm sorry you all have to go through this, but thank Heavens it sounds like the BEST of a bad deal. I told your mom, don't worry a thing about calling me back. Now's not the time to have to deal with everyone else too!! All my best wishes and prayers, Megan A

Rebecca Mohler said...

Chad and Megan,
I want to let you know that all of you will be in our prayers. I can not imagine what you are feeling right now. I just wish we lived closer so that I could help in some way. Landon is lucky to have such wonderful parents to watch over him, but please remember to take care of yourselves. We will be thinking of all of you on Tuesday.

Love
Rebecca,Andy and Laney Mohler

Rachel said...

I'm a friend of Lindsey's, and I always check out her latest Landon pics on her fridge because he is the cutest little guy. My thoughts are prayers are with you now during this time. Good luck with everything and I am praying for the best!

Beth James said...

I went to college with Kristi Coppernoll and am also Cindy Louderman's daughter. I have been following your blog since I saw the "love shack baby" post which it absolutely my favorite.
Our prayers are with you and your family...

Unknown said...

Megan,
Just wanted you to know, you guys are all in our prayers. As a mom I just can't think of anything harder to go through. We'll keep praying!
Lanette

Gretchen Magruder said...

We've been praying for you guys and the little man....trusting God to give you supernatural endurance, peace, and faith...and asking Him for some big healing!!
Blessings,
Todd and Gretchen Magruder

Unknown said...

Hi Chad & Megan,

Just checked for an update - you probably have the first round of chemo done, so I hope and pray Landon tolerated that well! I think about him all the time. Also wanted to let you know that every time I show Becky's baby, Kael (10 mos), the video of Landon saying thank you, he just keeps giggling through the whole thing - I think he really likes Landon. Take care of yourselves and God bless! Love, Naomi Brunner