
One of the highlights of Landon's summer has been catching fireflies. Mom and Dad got him a little bug box (not sure what else to call it) for Easter and he'd been begging to go out and catch some lightning bugs. Everytime he would bring it up though it'd be too late or we wouldn't be home. He finally asked one night when we WERE home, but it probably technically was a little too late because it took Chad a good little while to capture one...and that's all he could muster. It was dark, you couldn't see to catch the lil guys!
Landon was in love. He named him Grat....yes, g-r-a-t....not sure what that's about and he toted him from room to room. I tried to forewarn him that Grat may not survive very long, and Landon was determined to do everything in his power to prolong his buggy life. We googled what fireflies eat, and turns out they eat nectar...who knew? (not me, anyway) so we took an adult beverage lid and filled it with hummingbird food, threw in some grass and clover, and put Grat to bed with Landon. Much to
my surprise, the next morning, he was still alive! So Landon decided he wanted to turn him loose. I promised we'd catch him some more....and later that night, at dusk instead of the dead dark of night, I went out and caught him 12. Both he and Grant were just enthralled with the 'blinky bugs.' Ah summer time...how I love thee...and you too Blinkie Bugs.

my surprise, the next morning, he was still alive! So Landon decided he wanted to turn him loose. I promised we'd catch him some more....and later that night, at dusk instead of the dead dark of night, I went out and caught him 12. Both he and Grant were just enthralled with the 'blinky bugs.' Ah summer time...how I love thee...and you too Blinkie Bugs.
No comments:
Post a Comment