Sunday, February 21, 2010

All Hail Grant, King of the Cutie Pukers


Here's Grant's professional photography debut. I think I probably had unrealistic expectations of Grant's first photo session since when we had Landon's pictures taken at 8 weeks he just happened to be in a fantastic mood and we had all kinds of shots with him smiling from ear to ear. And really, in Grant's defense, I probably wouldn't have been in such a great mood if I had to sit through my older brothers photo session on top of a pretty long family session. We still got a few good ones and he's still cute as a button.

I think he MAY look a little more like me than Landon, but they change so much right now it's hard to say. His hair definitely has a little bit of an auburn tint to it, which I had when I was little. He definitely looks a lot like Landon though, too. Besides his hair, his ears are the only thing that I can tell that is certainly different from Landon.

When we went in for his two month check up he had gained 2lbs. and 2 ozs. and had grown 2 inches! Ironic, huh?


He's doing pretty well sleeping. Some days he'll take a couple hour nap in the afternoon, but most days he cat naps. I'm sure he'll grow into more of a napping routine soon. At night he usually goes down between 10 and 11 and sleeps until between 2 and 3. He gets up, eats, and goes back to sleep. I finally put him in his crib just this week. Before, he was sleeping in the cradle in our room. Since he'd had a cold and was so stuffy, I liked being able to hear him breathing. He's over that (at the moment) so I figured we probably should have him sleeping in his bed. I still put him in a swaddling blanket at night which seems to help him sleep, too. At least I think it does, it could just be in my head.

Grant's biggest issue is with puking. Our pediatrician thinks he has some acid reflux. So when I started supplementing he was taking an acid reflux formula. He was having a lot of trouble with gas and not being able to go to the bathroom, and when I consulted the pros again, I decided to throw in the towel with nursing, since having formula and breast milk can be really hard on little tummies, too. February 9 was the last day he nursed. He still had a little trouble with puking in on the A.R. formula, but since he was having issues with the other end, we weened him off that and back to regular formula. He's no longer gassy or having trouble going to the bathroom, but he's still pukin' like a champ. It's really weird, too. Sometimes he'll take a bottle really well, burp great, and keep it all down. Other times he'll take a bottle and burp fine (every ounce by the way) and then an hour later proceeds to go on a puking tirade. Friday morning he went through five bibs and three outfits in a matter of 30 minutes. And the number of burp cloths we go through is just insane. He doesn't act like it bothers him though, so I guess we'll just deal with it. When people say, "Oooh!! Your baby is SOOOO cute! Can I hold him?" I always hesitantly say, "Uh....sure!" while praying he doesn't totally drown them in spit up.

Because of this issue, Chad and I have perfected some specific holding strategies. Like when we burp him, we hold him sitting up with a burp cloth directly in front of his mouth so we can catch the puke. Or when he gets a little gas bubble and is having trouble burping I hold him in front of me with my hands on his tummy. Dad was concerned last weekend when I held him like that, and said something like, "I don't know if you should hold him like that very long. He's gonna think he can fly." I don't know if he's super hero material, but if there were a tribe of cute pukin' babies somewhere, he could definitely be king.




No comments: