Sunday, November 2, 2008

Rocket Pride



Wow, I'm exhausted. I probably would feel better if we could've turned our clocks back three hours instead of one, but I'll take it. I'm not too exhausted to skip blogging. I don't want to let anyone down, and I've got some choice material this week, too. We spent the weekend in Naperville at the boy's state soccer tournament. We finished in fourth, but it was still a successful showing. At the risk of sounding old and crotchety....I think there's a lot to be said for good sportsmanship and character. Yeah, we lost both of the games we played in the tournament, but I was proud to be with the Rockets this weekend, even when they finished fourth. Now I'm no sports writer, so please don't read this too critically, but here's my take on the soccer part of the weekend:


We played a team Friday that honestly deserved to win. They were good...so good they won the state title. Our boys played hard though. They were down 2-0 within five minutes of starting the game, but came back to tie it up. Soccer games usually don't keep me on the edge of my seat. I know that's shocking information to a lot of readers, but Friday night was probably the best game I've watched. Yesterday we played a team that we should've beat. Thinking back on the game, I really can't think of any other team that I'd like to beat as badly as them. I mean this team, ugh...they're horrible sports....talking trash, playing dirty, elbows flying, shoving people down in the ground....Grrr....(insert Yosemite Sam voice here) I hate that. And then they win on a goal in overtime that was just heart breaking. End result: Rockets win 4th in state.


I know I'm just the coach's wife, and I know practically nothing about soccer. I never can understand those off sides calls, and I still get confused about when you get a corner kick. My expertise ends at what uniforms look "cute," but I'd like to think I'm a pretty good judge of character. Here are the non-soccer parts of the weekend, that I think show that no matter what trophy we brought home, the Rockets are still number one:


1.) Friday night we returned to the hotel at about 10:30. The team had pizzas delivered and were eating in the lobby when we arrived. Landon was still pretty lively. He missed trick or treat, so we put him in his costume and took him out to the lobby. Chad sent the boys back to their rooms so Landon could get the full trick or treat experience. Coach carried his list of room assignments in one hand, and a birdy wing in the other. We went up and down the first and second floor hallways of the Courtyard Marriott, knocking on doors, saying "Twick or Tweet" and just getting loads of stuff from these boys. Some of them (or maybe their mothers more than them) packed little baggies of goodies for Landon. He even got a beanie baby for crying out loud! As you can see, he made a hauling. He got at least 5 times more candy than he would've if we would've made our regular rounds of trick or treating. And the whole time, the boys acted like they enjoyed it as much as Landon. Too cute. The first video at the bottom is one where you can see his costume. The second is a glimpse of the trick or treat experience. :)







2.) After the game Saturday, we took the boys to Fridays for dinner. When she brought the check, the waitress asked how old the boys were and said she just couldn't believe how well mannered they were. The manager even came over and complimented their behavior and said to come back anytime. I haven't been out to eat with too many groups of 20 some high school boys, but I would imagine that's not said very often.

3.) Saturday after we lost, our boys were hanging out in the hot tub at the hotel, and around the corner come three of the first place team members. One of them says as they get to the entrance of the pool, "Hot tub's for state champs only." (Our boys didn't hear...What a jerk!) When they opened the door though, our team clapped for them and welcomed them in the hot tub instead of being poo poo heads like the state champ jerk boy.


So, to sum up, winning isn't everything, and I'd rather be with our boys who won 4th than a group who has no manners or character. You make us proud, Rockets. Okay, that's enough soccer talk.

Also on the trip was some AWESOME shopping. Highlight purchases include a Christmas dress for Abby and a courdoroy blazer for Landon. I also am going to be getting some great tops and a pair of tennis shoes for Christmas from my in-laws that I couldn't have chose better myself....oh wait, I did choose them myself! :)

Time for bed. I've got a serious work week to put in with parent teacher conferences this week. By noon on Friday, I'm going to be ready to RELAX! It's our post soccer weekend get away this weekend. Ah, how I look forward to this weekend. And it's a superlong one too thanks to our Veterans. :)

Alright, go out and vote people. Remember Landon is a huge supporter of Rock Omama and Joe Biden. I'm not trying to sway your opinion. He also is a huge supporter of Mater the Tow Truck. Just vote.








3 comments:

Bob and LouAnne said...

Did I see Cheetos in that haul?????

Liz said...

Megan, he is just too dang cute! Oh my gosh!!! Sorry that the weekend didn't end in a Rocket victory, but it sounds like you had a good time regardless!

Courtney said...

If only we could've voted for Mater...what a better place the wolrd would be. 8-)