Sunday, August 31, 2008

Meet the Teacher, some big shoes, and sunglasses....I've got nothin' here.

Hello all! Hope everyone has had a great week. I'm having trouble thinking of anything to blog about because it's been such a hectic one. My week was mostly consumed by preparing for Meet the Teacher night on Thursday. The Meet the Teacher format as opposed to the Open House format, has some advantages. The main one being that it's over in 30 minutes...well it's supposed to be technically...of course it isn't really. And as I'm typing, I think that's the one and only advantage. I was stinkin' nervous to stand up and talk to a group of 30 to 40 parents that I had never met before, in a school I had never taught in before, with the air conditioning TURNED OFF. During the day, it feels like a meat locker in Room 101. The kids are shivering and I'm wearing my Mister Roger's sweater all the live long day. Forget about wearing cute summer skirts. It's 55 degrees in there. And what do you know, the one time 55 probably wouldn't feel that bad to me, it's 85. I guess to save on electricity the air shuts off at 4:00 every evening. Well, here's something to be considered...I think if we bumped the thermostat to 65 during the day, we could probably afford to have the AC on during Meet the Teacher. That's not my decision to make, and I'm definitely not questioning anyone. But let me tell ya....this teacher was a sweaty and not so fresh one to meet on Thursday night. Other than it being hotter than blue blazes, it went pretty well. You never know how those things really went until afterwards I guess. I'm the new teacher on the block that no one knows. So I'm sure the parents had some chit chatting to do after I finished my 25 minute speech on the highlights of first grade and how things were going to run in Room 101.



Hmmm....what else....Well, this afternoon we went shopping for a dresser that we actually had to purchase for our bedroom. We still have our hand me down, mismatched college dressers, which I believe have been painted at least two times (those are the coats that I've been responsible for) One of those dressers is going to be passed down to Landon for his big boy room. Since the furniture store was running a 5 year no interest weekend, we thought what the hey, let's go look. Turns out, we found something on clearance that's really nice...no financing necessary. And to top it off, we can pick it up tomorrow. SCORE. In the picture above, Landon was "helping" me clean up the closets, floor, etc in our bedroom to get ready for the dresser delivery tomorrow. He does have an extremely runny nose in this picture, so I'll advise you it looks a lot better in a small version. I DO actually wipe my child's nose and fully clothe him on occasion. :)



I don't really know much else. It's been a stretch to write what I have. Turns out I should've saved the title from last week's blog for this week. I had more to say than I thought last Sunday...as was brought to my attention by Courtney. :) Let me end by saying, stay cool (see Landon pic) and Rah Rah Rah for the Rockets. I'll update you on how the first games go next week.


Please excuse the "white-ness" of the blog. I'm trying to figure out how to customize a template and make it a little more flashy. Haven't got it quite yet.

Oh, and check out the Baby Brooke update. Brooke and her family really need prayers.













2 comments:

Liz said...

We are so sad to hear about Baby Brooke. Ryan and I will be praying for them.

Glad to hear that your school year has started off well! We need to get together sometime, I suppose when soccer and football come to an end. It's going to be a LONG season for OUR Rockets, I'm afraid. Friday nights game was less than impressive.

Sara B said...

OH how I miss those soooo cute Sandra Boynton days!!!!

Hope to see you guys soon.