Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Magic Kingdom...'We're Staying until the FIREWORKS?!?!'

 On Wednesday we went back to Magic Kingdom with a list similar to the one I made for our last day at Hollywood Studios, except this list was a little longer.  :)  Our rain out on our first day at Magic Kingdom kind of put a damper on taking in the sites and rides.  We got there early, but not right at opening.  I think it was the hottest day of the trip, but maybe we were feeling the heat more because the kids were D.O.N.E.

I wanted to be sure to get the Little Mermaid Under the Sea ride in, since the boys had recently watched (okay, they were forced...I felt they needed a little Disney Princess movie appreciation/education so we watched Cinderella, Snow White, and the Little Mermaid before the trip) the movie and really enjoyed it.  Grant was excited...and pointed out the characters to me as we were going through.  Landon, however, was too cool for the Little Mermaid ride after his Star Tours conquering the day before I guess.  He stomached through it though and humored Mom...he's gonna have to get used to that probably.  After that we went to see Mickey's Philharmagic which was a 3d show with Donald stealing Mickey's magic sorcerer's hat.  Landon continued to pout through that as well.  Then he asked when we were going home and I told him we were staying until the fireworks that night.  His face was one of horror.  He was ready to go and it was seriously 10:30.  We had fast passes to ride the Peter Pan ride, that was getting close, so I suggested some ice cream to cool the boys off and brighten their spirits a little.





He looks brightened right?  
This was taken shortly after we had heard the max on all the whining and one of us said in a not so fun voice that we were having FUN on this trip and there was to be NO MORE WHINING.  Ha!

It was also at this point that we saw Peter Pan and while I was getting our pillow cases out for him to sign he took off.  If Chad would've snapped my picture at that moment, it would've looked similar (minus the chocolate mug)
This is one area of stroller parking.
A detail you wouldn't normally remember, but I felt the need to burn it into our brains.
Maybe since I did Chad will have a chance for me not wanting to return until
we don't need a stroller anymore.  

So we got on the Peter Pan ride, and the boys really enjoyed it.  (phew)  After we had cashed in that fast pass, we went back up to Main Street to get a fast pass to meet the Mouse himself for a pic.  On the way up we caught part of a show up on the Castle stage.  

 While we waited for our Mickey appointment ( :) ) we went into the Hall of Presidents.  If I were guessing I'd say this was one of Chad's favorite things we saw.  Honestly, it probably was one of mine, too.  The boys, eh...they weren't as impressed with the show as they were with the air conditioning inside the building.  This picture pretty much sums up their opinions probably.


 Being in the Hall of Presidents makes you proud to be an American.  Between the story of how we became a democracy, the highlights of the presidents who've made the biggest impact, the wax figures that speak and move, and Morgan Freeman's narration, there were a couple of times I may have teared up a little...or maybe it was sweat.  But seriously, we loved it.

We also stopped on Main Street and had silhouettes made of the boys by this super talented man in this picture.  I held each of the boys on my lap while he cut their silhouettes out of a black piece of paper, and I'm telling ya, they're spot on.  I was super impressed. Great little souvenir, too.  

Then we headed up to see Mickey!  Landon was also a little too cool for Mickey.  :(  Grant of course walked right up and gave him a hug so fast I didn't even have the camera out.  Landon just walked up, stood beside him, and posed, ready for the photo opp.  Mickey put his hands on his hips and gave Landon a little 'hey!  What the heck?' and Landon decided he should give him a high five at least.  Ugh.




 On our way out we saw one of MY favorite Disney characters, Mary Poppins (insert Dick VanDyke with his English accent here).  She was the only character we met that was a person, and it was so fun to talk with her.  She shook each of the boys' hands and said how handsome they were, and she loved Grant's name.  Then she made a comment about Michael and Jane and how much they enjoyed playing soccer in the backyard.  And I of course had to tell her that I love to say "spit spot" at home and at school just like her.  And she laughed and said, 'it works like a charm every time doesn't it" in her beautiful English accent.  Sigh.  I love you, Mary Poppins.  <3 p="">

 By this time we were getting hungry and decided to give Pecos Bills a go.  Let me just say this about Pecos Bills.  1) It was super crowded 2) I felt like part of a herd of cattle 3) People were dropping their trays of food from running into others and 4) ummm yes, it was super crowded.  Once we made it to an actual table, my taco salad was okay.  But I probably didn't enjoy it was much as I could've because I was filled with dread on how we were going to be able to exit the building without having a giant diet Coke spilled down one of our backs.

At this point in the day I was thinking there was no way we were going to get our boys through the afternoon to see the fireworks.  We headed out of Pecos Bills and met up with the Coppernolls though and everyone's chins perked back up.  We were in time for the parade and had front row spots that were even kind of shaded, and Charli and Blake had lemonade icees that they were willing to share   Double score!
 Landon and his salute to the band at the beginning of the parade.  Seriously, this child.  Dramatic.
 Grant was thrilled that Blake let him hold his gun that he got the previous day upon exiting Pirates of the Carribean.  Please don't point the gun at the characters in the parade, son.
 Here's the highlight of the parade for us Moms.  The little boys were in front giving Belle a heart felt wave.  She looked right at them gave them one right back, and then threw them some love.  It was adorable.




 Okay after the parade we were looking to burn a little time so we snuck in a visit to the Tiki Room (which Chad had to take a little video of and send to his Mom because he was mortified when he was 15 and she made them go in the Tiki Room at Disney in California...hey, it was air conditioned.  But as a 15 year old boy, that wasn't a legitimate reason.)  We also checked out the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and rode Pirates of the Caribbean, which I was a little nervous about, but Landon really enjoyed.

It was time for our fast passes to Splash Mountain.  Blake had cashed out and Grant was too short, so I hung back with the little guys while everyone else got in line.  I was super pumped Landon had decided he wanted to ride it, but really thought there was no way he'd get off Splash Mountain and want to get back on.  Blake snoozed in the stroller while I hoisted Grant up so we was tall enough to see over the rocks at the base of the ride and we watched, and watched, and watched for them to come down.  But before long Kristi was behind me and we had missed it!  I was so bummed.  Thankfully she had taken a couple of pictures though.  And Lando LOVED it and was so brave he even raised his arms off the handle going down!  WHA?!?!?!  WHO THE HECK IS THIS KID?!?!?

Kristi snapped this picture, of the picture they had posted at the end of the ride.  I couldn't believe it!
She also took this one of Charli and Landon with Woody and Jessie...and that was the closest we got to them during the trip, too.  

After Splash Mountain we took the little railroad around the park.



 Then we staked out our spot for the parade around 7:00.  The Coppernolls went to have their picture taken with Mickey,and when they returned Chad and I went to grab some food to bring back.  Besides Grant shouting and pointing about a 'ninja' which was a middle eastern woman dressed from head to toe in black (Eeks)  The kids were so good while we waited for the parade.  They played with a few toys we had in our bags, and we got some ice cream.  We took our pictures in front of the castle, and watched the clouds roll in.  It sprinkled just a few drops, but looked like it could do much worse.  We were really wondering when they came across the intercom for an announcement, but said they were going to delay the Electric Light Parade for a few minutes...but all went off without a hitch.






 The Electric Light Parade was very cool (so cool Phil said he was going to Shazam the music so we could listen to it on the way home)  I can't remember if TinkerBell came down from the top of the castle on her zip line before or after the parade, but that was also really neat.
 Then after the parade, came my favorite part, the show they project on the castle.  There seriously was no other word for it besides Magical.  The Fireworks, too really.  Grant saw part of the show and then just gave up.  I think Blake conked out after the parade.  The big kids made it through the fireworks, but...

killing time with a little thumb wrestling
or rock, paper, scissors,...can't remember
which







 not through the big stroller trek back to the cars.  Adios Magic Kingdom!  You truly were Magical!

No comments: