Friday, March 2, 2012

Using Motivation to Our Advantage...

A few weeks ago Landon was going to a birthday party and he discovered a travel version of the game Perfection in the box of stashed gifts. He was dying to have it. So I put him to work to earn it. He did 10 jobs in 24 hours, and some of the jobs he did made me go hmmmm. (Not like C & C Music Factory. Those were bad hmmms. Mine were good.) I'm not one to endorse bribery, however, I decided it wasn't bribery if he was motivated to work for something he wanted.....so the job chart was born.

I'm tellin' ya....this kid is in serious training to be independent, and I'm lovin' it. I told him once he filled in his chart he could chose a new Wii game or a lego man that he's been begging for for a month. Every time I pick him up from Creighton's house he's got something else to add to the list of things he 'needs.' ;) It won't be hard for him to come up with something he wants I'm sure. It may however be more difficult to decide on one thing and commit. :)

So far Landon can:

*load the washer and turn it on (I have to put the detergent and fabric softener in. I'm sure he'd love to do that as well, but I don't want to have to clean up when he's done starting the washer....creating more work for me isn't the point)
*switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer
*sort laundry into piles from the dryer (Landon pile, Grant pile, Daddy pile, Mommy pile)
*wash dishes in the sink (that aren't really too dirty)
*unload the clean silverware from the dishwasher
*un-bag groceries when we get home from the store

Of course, Grant's right on his heels, so he's in charge of dust mopping our 'gym' floor. (where Kristi and I do Insanity). Hey, I'm MORE than happy to buy a Wii game! I've practically got a mini maid!



1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Can I borrow these fine young men? We've got some dirt and grime that needs some attention. Name your Wii game.