Saturday, March 26, 2011

Let's Play Catch Up (Tater Tot)


Well, it's happened again. I am BEHIND. It's the constant state of my life these days. I'm starting to just accept it. Being behind on the blog doesn't stress me out, until people start voicing concern for lack of updates. And I'm a pleaser....gotta give the people what they want. :) So, here's a little catch up on our Grant (aka Tater Tot...that's a Papa Jeff given name)



Grant continues to be a very good eater and is showing interest in using utensils. :) He will eat just about anything. Recently he barked at me until I gave him a couple pieces of raw green pepper, and here he is downing some black beans. He doesn't care for vegetables (of course, wouldn't ya know it) except for steamed carrots, which he eats like candy. He'll also eat vegetables in stews and soups...but we all know those don't taste much like vegetables. His favorite foods include: Tyson chicken fries, pastas with red sauce, mandarin oranges, Goldfish crackers, pizza, and list goes on. :) He's the kid that will polish off a good sized meal, then 15 minutes later, when YOU sit down to eat, he's at your side with his mouth open like a little bird. We've actually used Grant as leverage to get Landon to eat more...which is probably not that great of parenting. But when we say, "Gosh Landon, I guess we'll give your food to Grant since you're not eating it. He's getting awfully big and strong. I hope he doesn't grow bigger than you since YOU'RE the big brother. That would be embarrassing," Landon decides he should eat. Whatever gets it done right?


Grant is also becoming more of a climber...and a danger to himself. He uses pillows as step stools to climb on the couch and uses the couch as a step stool to climb up in the window. He climbs up on Landon's table and chairs...and STANDS. Here he is on the sheep at Great Grandma Linda's. It's a rite of passage, riding that sheep. Most of the grandkids have done it...Michael and I were too big when the sheep first joined the family, but I think the rest of us had a turn. Correct me if I'm wrong, Lindsey....you'd be the next in line.


We're down to one bottle a day...just at night time, and we're on straight whole milk now instead of a formula-milk mix. I think soon he'll be ready to give up the evening bottle. It took us a few weeks to get him to drink his morning milk out of a cup instead of a bottle. Before if I put it in a cup he just wouldn't drink it. He still doesn't drink as much out of the cup as he would if he had a bottle, but I don't think he's lacking for the nutrition since he gets milk for a nap or lunch and at bed time.


Most days he'll still rock for a nap, (when I have him at least), but some days he prefers just to be laid down in his crib. He's given up his morning nap for the most part, except for weird days like one day a couple weeks ago when he got up at FOUR a.m. and stayed up for the day. Are you kidding me?! He went to sleep at 6:30 of course and napped all the way to the sitter's house. Stinker.


He's getting more into 'figuring things out' and is fun to watch study something. He spent a good 15 to 20 minutes the other night trying to put on a pair of underwear from the laundry basket. I videoed part of it, but since he chose a pair of MY underwear I decided it inappropriate material for the blog. Maybe someday I'll throw him a pair of Landon's and pull out the camera. ;0) He worked and worked trying to get his feet in the holes and then stood up when he finally did and was super proud of himself. He took one step and then fell because they fell down and tripped him. At that point he abandoned the idea. Here he is with Grandpa Larry and Daddy working on the bar downstairs. He would take a screw out of the box, put the end against the wood and push it. Pretty insightful for 15 months I think. (of course I do though right?:)


He also is pretty good with fine motor stuff. He shows interest in coloring, but of course isn't quite there yet. He took a cap off a pen the other day and worked for several minutes before getting the lid back on. I was pretty impressed. :)




This past week both of the boys have been pretty sick. Grant started a week ago Friday with a real chesty cough...long story short after an RSV test and chest xrays it was decided we were just wearing out a virus and he was put on breathing treatments. He did decently well with them. The first five minutes he was very patient, but then he decided he was done and a lot of times required some wrestling to keep on your lap to finish up. Chad pinned him in the high chair and put some soccer videos on the computer to keep him occupied in this picture.


Grant also has a tiny bit of attitude. ;) This picture on the school playground was taken one day a couple weeks ago. I picked the boys up and told them we could play outside, but then after remembering that our backyard was pretty much a swamp, I asked Landon what he thought about going up to the school to play on the playground. He thought that was a "wonderful idea" and we loaded back up in the car. Grant pitched a hissy fit deluxe. I could barely get him strapped in his seat because he kept arching his back and kicking. He was NOT happy that we were not playing outside. After we got out of the car it was like he flipped a switch to "happy Grant" again.


And here's a picture I have nothing to say about but how could I pass up putting Grant in pink Dorah glasses up?! :)



Grant "talks" non-stop...it's pretty entertaining. Of course, he's not speaking English, he's just jabbering. Every once in awhile he'll throw a real word in, it's kind of like listening to the Swedish Chef. I haven't really been able to get a good video of the jibber jabber, but this one is pretty good. He IS saying "goal!" which is cuter as "goooool" I think. And he's saying "doggie" which sounds like "dada." It took me awhile to realize there was a REAL doggie on the refrigerator. Sometimes he's a little sharper than we give him credit for I think.








Grant's going to be well groomed. He loves combing his hair and "brushing" his teeth, which really is just him slobbering all of the toothbrush. :)



Anybody remember the "dog show" skit on SNL with Will Ferrel and Molly Shannon and their dogs Mr. Bojangles and Rocky Balboa? I do the claps before bath time here...and instead of "dog show" we say "bath time." And yes, that IS what Grant is saying...but once again...you can't really understand him. He's got the syllables though!


1 comment:

Lindsey said...

You would be right, Megan. But for the record, I was 5 or 6 when those sheep came into our lives (I remember because we had Rob already), and I'm sure I was promptly told to "Get off the sheep".