Monday, October 10, 2011

Leaving Number 30


The last week in our house on I was feeling a little sad. Don't get me wrong, I was super excited about our new house, but when you're in the house you've been in for four years and you're about to leave it, that's what you're thinking about instead of the new house. I didn't really feel like this when we left our first house on Merlin Drive. I'm not sure why...we had good memories there. We opened our wedding gifts, did some remodeling, and brought Landon home from the hospital there. Still there just wasn't the connection to that house that there was to the house on Mishawaka.

Of course there's the drama that went along with selling this house that didn't go the way we thought it would. We got an actual taste of what normally selling a house was like, when it takes longer than 24 hours on the market to sell, where the realtors are calling and making appointments to show it, when you're cleaning when you're really sick of cleaning, and then after all of that the house that we had went through all of this for ended up being someone else's house. The house on Maplehurst driving selling to someone else seriously broke my heart and after it was gone, we decided to stay on Mishawaka and add a bathroom...until a family called our realtor who was 'in love' with the house and we let it go.

Our house on Mishawaka had many more memories made in it than our first house. We left the house on Merlin when Landon was only 2 months old, so there never was the pitter patter of little feet in that hall. Number 30 is where we put together our first swing set, ate cereal...and everything else...for the first time. It's where both of the boys learned to crawl and walk (on hardwood floors!), and shortly after to kick a soccer ball and swing a baseball bat. It's where the blog was born! It was where both of the boys had their first Christmases and it was host to four of Landon's birthday parties and Grant's first. It was where we lived through what I shallowly called 'the worst summer ever' because of the kitchen remodel, which actually turned into the worst summer ever after we found out about Landon's health. I will remember for the rest of my life sitting on this front step the day we found out about Landon, noticing the crack in the concrete, and praying like I'd never prayed before. Our faith and our marriage grew a lot stronger in this house, and while there may have been a crack in the sidewalk, we left there stronger than we were when we moved in, which I think is why it was sad to leave.

We left it in good hands though to a family I know will love it as much as we did, which I find very comforting. I know they'll probably paint over the wall in the living room that was the perfect shade of dark blue, and they'll definitely cover up the family tree in Grant's room, but I don't have to see it, and those things will always stay in my mind along with all of the good memories we made in 30 Mishawaka.

No comments: