Saturday, March 22, 2014

Winter 2014: The Great Blizzard of the Midwest

Winter 2014 has been one for the books.  For the first time in I don't know how many years (but lots) we used all of our snow days in the extended calendar of the school year, plus one.  There was drama about us making up those days versus applying for 'act of God' days, but of course there was drama.  I mean, nothing happens unless there's drama attached, right?  Ugh.  So as of now, we're not making up our one day that went over the extended calendar, we are STILL getting the Monday after Easter off (heated debate!) and to be better prepared for this next year we're adding more days to our extended year for snow days.  Phew.  So glad that's taken care of.  (insert eye roll here)  I mean, yes our whole routine has been totally thrown off.  And yes, it's been very difficult to get anything done in our classrooms, and YES it IS important for us to be IN SCHOOL. HOW-EVERRRRR, if we're going to make these days up in JUNE, they WILL NOT be productive, people.  Mark my words!  NOT.  PRODUCTIVE.  (and by not productive, I mean as near to human torture as is legal, at least on my receiving end.  HA!)

Speaking of human torture....what the heck is up with Grant in this pic?!  Celebrating Aunt Kellse's birthday...all the kids looking sweet and angelic....except for....(which one of these kids is not like the others? which one is different, do you know?)  :)  And I hate to say it, but that kid looks more like me than his dad in this pic.  Sigh.  (and I'm not talking about showing off his mid drift)    Any who.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUNT KELLSE!!!

So, during these six snow days we had to find ways to entertain ourselves.....I give you, Landon's "Free Sticker Store."  Please feel free to drop by, prospective customers!


don't be intimidated by the entrepreneur's enthusiasm.  He's got LOTS of stickers.

And one of the few days Grant got to go to preschool, he made this, his pet rock.  No name for the rock yet.  I'll keep you posted.

We did manage to get a little jammy snuggling, bed head time in.  Gotta love that.
...and lots of tv watching!  (also in jammies....of course!)
(brothers entertaining each other...some board game time!....in, ahem, jammies!)





Grant earned two Saturday a.m. trips to the doctor in the past few weeks, both over curious rashes.  This kid has got some super sensitive pale skin.  (I don't think we can peg that on daddy  :( ) But it seems like every time he picks up any kind of virus he breaks out in a weird rash.  UGH!  The first one, I would've bet was strep.  But I was wrong.  (viral!)  The second one I would've bet was some kind of allergy, possibly food?!?, and I was wrong.  (viral!....Fifth's Disease they thought, but went backwards.  Instead of face on down, we started tushy and went up....fitting for this guy in all honesty.)  On the first trip he got this rubber ducky, immediately dubbed 'Squishy' who was such a smash hit that he was chosen as Grant's first TWO show and tells for preschool.  I never would've let that fly with Landon.  Second kid, if he wants to take a rubber duck twice, what the heck.  I'm not arguing with him at 7:45 in the morning about it.
We also had plenty of time for video gaming during our snow days.  (sigh...I'm not a fan, but what else are ya gonna do with the kids when you're locked in your house for 3-4 days solid!)  


Be glad I didn't capture any moments that depicted them at each other's throats, wrestling, crying, and beating on each other.  That happened way more than these sweet, brotherly moments shown here.  Truth be told, snow days make me say things that my mother said that I swore I wouldn't say.  But at least I don't answer to 'Mrs. Kutscher!!" on snow days!  :)

No comments: